Friday, July 01, 2005

The first real day of summer holidays

flag
This new photo thing on blogger is tres annoying on my mac.

Happy Canada Day, folks. It must be some sort of strange latent patriotism that caused me to go on a little nationalist rant on Camila's blog comments--sorry about that. The nice thing is that I know the H-burg kids are cool enough not to be worried about it.

I've got a strange ancestry working in this area. My dad's mom's family traces back bloodlines that include a "Dirigerie (sp?) Priest" who came over on the Mayflower, and eventually sent for his family in England to join him, but he died before they arrived and his wife ended up marrying someone else in the colonies. My dad's dad's family came to North America from Ireland--a father and son together--to fight the Americans in the War of 1812.

The majority of people who read this blog are Americans, and of course, I love you all. I don't have to agree with everything your country does, and to honest, I don't agree with everything my country does either.

I'm even growing tolerant enough to admit there are some decent american beers.

I don't think we'll be going downtown for the fireworks this year. To my Canadian friends, happy Canada Day, and to my U.S. friends, happy 4th of July.

13 comments:

Berkeley G. said...

How were you able to trace your ancestry that far? I've always wanted to do that. All I know is that I'm French on my mother's side and Welch on my father's (<--sp?).

j said...

My grandmother's grandmother was originally named Priest, and it was their family that simply passed the information down from generation to generation.

My grandfather was born in the 1890s, and his great grandfather and his great great grandfather--one of whom had the same name as me, but as we've discussed, so do about 5 million other people--came to fight in the war of 1812 with a group known as the Irish Fusileers.

It might seem like a long time ago, but it was really only a few generations back to my grandfather.

Jenny G said...

Happy Canada Day, eh. Do you eat maple syrup on everything and participate in games of curling and hockey every weekend, eh? Are you a mountie, eh? Just messing with you. Blame Canada! :-) Have a good weekend!

j said...

I could reply with more indignation if I hadn't just come inside from playing road hockey with my son for the last hour.

lol

Jenny G said...

HAHAHAHA Did you have a beer when you came inside? :-)

j said...

Actually, yes--but it was an american beer...

*sigh*

I hate confirming stereotypes

J.

(I don't say "oot" and "aboot", though--that's ontario and eastward)

Jenny G said...

:-) Don't worry about it; I'm just kidding around. Actually, the townies in Shippensburg said oot and aboot; I'm not sure where they got it from.

Anonymous said...

I've only seen Nova Scotia/Cape Breton (gorgeous!!!!) and the the other side of Niagra, but I'd love to travel north of the border farther west...it's a big country, I'm sure it's pretty varied. Look at the US! CA and VA are different worlds...

Jatue

ps - yes. 4 exclamation points. shut up.

Anonymous said...

oh, where's 'freebasing chicken nuggets' gone?

-jatue again

j said...

I'm going to fix the link to Kate's new blog, and I also have to update "warped mind"--her address changed a while back.

You're right about the differences, Jatue, but Jenny G. will never know since she's vowed never to travel west of Pennsylvania...

:-p

J.

Kate said...

Yaaaayyy for Canada! Have I mentioned how much I LOVE Canada? BECAUSE I LOVE CANADA A LOT.

And "Freebasing Chicken Nuggets" has moved to http://theequaliser.blogspot.com. :D

Camila said...

crazy canadians. we're so jealous of you, you know that, right?

you and your gay marriage. you can keep your big cold empty spaces and your frenchies and your horsepolice, because we have SUVs. boo-ya. take that acid rain and like it, bitch.

um. yeah. happy canada day. :D

j said...

I'll trade you some poutine for a good philly cheesesteak...