Thursday, July 14, 2005

If I had a hammer...

I could join the pounding that's shaken our house for two days now. Fortunately, it looks like they may finish it today--though it's getting close to four now and I'm not sure if they'll want to go home on time or just get the roof done with. It does look better, though.

Fortunately for my kids, they were at their cousins' throughout the roof work until just now, and my wife is working all this week, so she missed it too. Lucky me.

I realized yesterday that there's a quality of life I like about our city--not just the climate, which despite the whining about the rain is pretty great, and the scenery, etc.--but it's about the right size.

I know lots of my students who find it too small--that's typical of kids everywhere, though. I've lived in a small town. There's more to do and see here. For instance, the new arena opened a few months ago, and in the first six months the concerts in there have included (will include):

Rod Stewart
Cher
Bob Dylan
Avril Lavigne
Black Eyed Peas
Def Leppard
Paul Anka
Robert Plant
Sarah McLachlan

Obviously not as big as maybe Vancouver or Seattle gets, but still recognizable names among them. (Yes, Rizz, I chose NOT to mention Tom Jones on purpose *shudder*)

I was sitting in the dentist's chair looking out across the parking lot to an apartment I lived in while I was a university student 20 years ago. I go to the music store to buy the trumpet we'd been renting and find a former student--from the first musical I did in my school; she's now a music teacher--starting her first day of work there. I hit McD's for lunch and see students I know--present and past.

And so on...

I liked living in Vancouver. There was more there, obviously--but now we spend our money on new roofs rather than concerts, anyway. *sigh*

I should steal some tourist info pics and post them or something. In spite of the things we all whine about from time to time, it really is a nice place to live.

(Then again--I've been looking at R's pics from Finland and they look nice too)

Maybe you should drop links in your comments of websites that show off your communities, if you like. (Kate--Mandeville can't be as bad as you say) :-)

5 comments:

Kate said...

OH, YOU HAVE NO IDEA. NO IDEA. New Orleans doesn't even get Bob Dylan. I don't think that's very fair.

j said...

but you have hot jazz on every corner and drunken frat boys with cameras each mardi gras...

sandrine said...

Holy crap.

Now, I'm not obsessed with Avril Lavigne like I used to be, but... I'd see her if she came here.

j said...

Avenger--we're the big leagues here, oh yeah...

Kate said...

And we all know how much I love drunken frat boys.