Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Poetry by the Emo Child

At the Bus Stop

They think they're funny, the uber twinks
Speaking louder for my benefit
"Rocky Horror playing somewhere, freak?"
I turn slowly, stare, and lick my lips.

I ignore both of them, as they giggle about the weekend ahead
Whoring themselves to whoever kicks the most touchdowns..
or whatever the hell those acne steroid freak boys do.

Then I see it--probably was a squirrel, before Goodyear got it.
Now it's a lovely compact model,
If you don't mind the oozing.

I find a suitable stick,
While the twinks pretend not to watch
Fearing, perhaps, I'll swing it in my wrath.
But no, delicately I pick up the pancaked vermin,
Angering the swarm of feeding flies,
And approach them, grinning--I show my filed fangs.

"Get away from us you freak!"
If I had a dollar for every time I heard that...
"Look!" I shout, "It's your soul on a stick!"
They run, their fear unmasked, up into a nearby yard.

I laugh, my favorite, crazy laugh.
The bus has already pulled up, and I step in
Enjoying a laugh with the young bus driver
As we watch the pit bull chase them from the yard.

I sit near the front as we pull away
The driver eyes me in his mirror,
While I contemplate his dreads
"You're insane," he smiles. "I like that"
He invites me to "party" with his friends that weekend.

I smile and say nothing.
I won't let my soul become a pancake
Just yet.

7 comments:

Berkeley G. said...

Do you write these, also? Pretty good, pretty good...

The squirrel thing was a little gross, but besides that, pretty good. :)

j said...

yes I do--

I have an angsty teenage kid hidden inside my brain somewhere.

along with the others...

j.

Jenny G said...

That was great! :-) Reminds me of a friend I had in high school...

Kate said...

Story of my life.

Anonymous said...

A big LOL.

Camila said...

awww, our emo girl found a dread boy....

twinks? whoring themselves to football stars?

wow, quite a place she's living in. gay guys pull the high school quarterback and talk about it at bus stops.

"Look!" I shout, "It's your soul on a stick!"

that's so mine now. i claim it i do.

j said...

I knew it would eventually happen--the cultural thing.

"twinks" aren't the same thing here as they are there, it seems.

Actually, it's kind of funnier your way.

J.

(If you're going to claim that, let me send you a squashed squirrel--there's usually some around here somewhere...)