Friday, July 08, 2005

Who keeps Atlantis off the Maps, Who Keeps the Martians Under Wraps...

It's summer, so we watch movies. Tonight, M. Knight Shamalamadingdang's "The Village". After quite liking "The Sixth Sense", being rather comme ce, comme ça about "Unbreakable", and enjoying the rather heavy handed "Signs", I would say this movie was weak. Once there were no real monsters, where's the fun?

Has anyone seen "Adaptation" with Nicholas Cage in dual roles as twin brothers? It's kind of bizarre in that it asks you to think about the writing of the movie as you watch it--it sort of grew on me as it went along, and I think I might make directing and scriptwriting kids watch it because it breaks some rules and calls attention to the fact it's doing so.

In an act of impeccable timing, I sent out a mass email to the musical folks saying I'd be in my theatre with Grease DVDs and tapes from 10:30 to noon this morning. Lucky me--a p.a. announcement comes on at 11:15 saying they're going to be testing the fire alarms for the next 40 minutes...

Still, I got rid of all the dvds and most of the videos.

Must run to bed--driving up island to pick up my daughter from camp tomorrow.

5 comments:

Camila said...

your title rhymed!

um, sorry. it just... caught my eye. google says it's a simpsons reference. i need to be more of a geek. apparently, they put the simpsons on the foreign service examinations.

sometimes.

Berkeley G. said...

What were doing up so late yourself?

I was up until 2 AM my time watching Sex and the City, so I can't blame you. Actually, it's funny that you thought Laken was a made up name. Laken is actually a real name. It's pretty odd, she's the only person I've ever known with that name. "Meredith" is actually fake, but Laken is a very real person. :) (It's pronounced like Lake-in)

j said...

Actually, I wasn't up as late as you as we are two hours behind you here--but yeah, I probably wrote that after midnight.

I'm curious about your feelings regarding The Simpsons--I realize there are moments that might offend some people--probably more in the last couple of seasons, but I would expect Sex and the City has at least as many...

(But I can't judge that show because I've never seen it--we didn't get it originally because it was on different cable channels than we subscribe to, though now it's on basic tv here)

j said...

Yeah, I didn't quite know what to think about the ending--in a way, the writers chose to point out how contrived the big "concluding payoff" endings are, and yet then they go down that road.

Berkeley G. said...

Regarding The Simpsons: I like sarcastic funny, like Garden State, the movie, I think it's hilarious. And it's "calm" funny, not "crazy" funny and loud and obnoxious like Homer Simpson.

Anyway, I can't talk too bad about The Simpsons for the same reason you said you couldn't about Sex and the City. I haven't watched it a lot. :)