Friday, July 08, 2005

I suppose the original blog title gave it away...

Yes, I am a Simpsons addict. My students accuse me of always finding a Simpsons episode analogous to whatever I am teaching--but it's always so relevant.

The "Stonecutters" episode alluded to in the last couple of posts is one of my favorites--partly because it makes fun of freemasons (sorry if any of you are involved) and Patrick Stewart of Star Trek is the guest star. The song the stonecutters sing is perhaps the highlight, but there's also the moment when Homer, who has failed as a stonecutter, has been walking around naked dragging the huge "rock of shame" attached by a chain to a collar around his neck. At that point they notice he has a birthmark that makes him "the chosen one":

Number one (Patrick Stewart's character ): Remove the rock of shame.

Homer: Woo-hoo!

Number One: Attach the rock of triumph.

At this, an even bigger rock is chained around Homers neck.

Homer: D'oh!

I'll try to find something else to talk about for the next sixty posts or so...

7 comments:

msevangeline said...

Les Mis last night was...AMAZING. I sometimes forget that how amazingly talented kids my age are. I was flipping out and am currently in love with the guy who played Jean ValJean. *sighs* It was such a GREAT show.

I love Les Mis.

Berkeley G. said...

I dislike the Simpsons to an overwhelmingly great extent. It's very immoral in my opinion and just not funny. (And it takes a lot for me to view something as immoral.)

Jenny G said...

"These people look deep within my soul and assign me a number based on the order in which I joined."

j said...

Katie--I'm glad. I find the songs in that show among the best in any musical, and they get in my head for weeks at a time.

B.G.--We'll have to differ on this one--I think it's clever satire on our society--but I commented on my last post to you anyway.

Jenny--yes--I loved that line. My favorite episode ever may be the vegetarian one...

Jenny G said...

Is that the one where he says he's a 7th level vegan and doesn't eat anything with a shadow?

I like the one where Flanders and his kids are in their shelter and he sings "We'll be safe inside our fortress when they come. We'll be safe from creeps and killers when they come. Unless they have a blowtorch or a poison gas injector, then I don't know what will happen when they come!"

I also love the Sherry Bobbins one for many reasons, but especially this part:

(singing)
Flanders: They're not perfect, but the lord says love thy neighbor
Homer: Shut up Flanders
Flanders: Okeley dokeley do!

j said...

Hmm--I don't recall that line, and I've seen that episode many times--

It starts with a trip to the little kids amusement park and the progressively cuter sheep, has the great in class movie about where meat comes from, they do a conga to "you don't make friends with salad", Homer hosts a barbecue and Lisa comes out and says "good news everyone, you don't have to eat meat; I made enough gespacho for everyone"

then they all look bewildered and she says "It's a tomato soup, served cold" and as they all laugh at her, you hear Barney say "Go back to Russia".

and so much more--the satire on the school system is particularly funny in that one--they have little secret buttons that the staff push--"independent thought alarm"--and Willy the janitor blames it on the coloured chalk...

I need to go watch it again.

Jenny G said...

Ahhh...I was thinking of the wrong episode. The one I was thinking of was the one where she camps out in that big tree that the Texan wants to cut down and gets a crush on that guy with dreadlocks.

I love the independent thought button! I also love Willy. My bf and I always yell, "Ya used me, Skinner; ya used me!"