Thursday, September 30, 2004

Wanted: Original Works--No Compensation Offered

Here's the plan. I will give an opening line, then ask anyone who chooses to begin a script (use the comment option if you dare) along the lines of a particular genre. Some genres I would suggest are: romantic comedy, gothic thriller, absurdist/existential commentary, political satire, children's fantasy, drawing-room comedy, Elizabethan tragedy, feminist agitprop, experimental arthouse play, educational "message" play...

The opening:

NED: What was that sound?
JULIA: I'm not sure...

There-that's your start. There are quite a few people now dropping in on this blog--the counter ranges from a dozen to more than fifty hits on a typical day--so don't be scared. Nothing is too awful, and it needn't be long. Here--I'll start it off.

Genre: Ribald Farce

NED: What was that sound?
JULIA: I'm not sure...
NED: I think it came from your knickers.
JULIA: Oh Neddy, you are awful...
NED: You haven't called me Neddy since the divorce. Would you care for a sherry?
JULIA: You aren't trying to get me tipsy, are you Neddy?
(Enter THE MAJOR, Julia's much older third husband)
THE MAJOR: What did I just hear?
JULIA: Tipsy, darling--honestly, you're such a prig sometimes.
THE MAJOR: Don't think I don't know what's going on here. (uncomfortable pause)
NED: Er, I'm not sure...
JULIA: I, uhm...
THE MAJOR: See, your faces give you away. You're both as guilty as sin. How could you think I didn't know you were planning a surprise birthday party for me?
NED: (relieved) Ah, yes--well, we certainly can't put anything past you, can we. (quickly picks JULIA'S bra off of sofa and stuffs it into his jacket pocket)

And so on...

j.

No comments: