Monday, September 03, 2007

Replace "blogly goodness" below with "weeping and gnashing of teeth"

ARggh!

No, not pirate noises. More my brain exploding. Seems one member of the committee for my masters has a much different standard of what needs citing than another. I can understand both perspectives and I'm not arguing as much as frustrated that the first one said I should just send it all to him for editing and not let her see it until he had given me edits and then send it to her before the defence.

Now she's all "here's my 100s of things to change/fix/cite/substantiate/define" and I'm all "er, I have to have this all submitted by Friday and I start teaching this week, and I'm all thinking "I could've sent this to her a month ago but I was told not to and my other prof was on holiday for the first half of that month so she could've given me edits/feedback and I could've had this all done while I had time.

Oh, and the panel defence I pictured as I describe my study and then deal with questions is apparently needing more of a formal "presentation" at first, I discover. Powerpoint, anyone?

It's my own fault, I suppose, for letting life interfere with pure academia. Fortunately I always tend to scramble on assignments so this deadline while giving borderline anxiety attacks and stress is less likely to make my head explode than some.

I'm likely going to hold off on that "increased blog posting" for a little while longer.

2 comments:

Berkeley G. said...

Man, I'm really sorry to hear about this. I remember my Dad going through the same process and how stressful and time consuming it all was. Best of luck with all of the editing and I'll be keeping you in my prayers. :)

Camila said...

oooh... coffee covered espresso beans and death metal, that's what you need. Except maybe not the coffee covered espresso beans. I'm sure you'll do fine on the revisions, and I wish you the best of luck in starting the school year and keeping yourself healthy in the process.

and every now again, stop in the middle of all the high-octane, adrenaline-powered stress and think, "but isn't this fun, in a masochistic kind of way?"