Saturday, September 15, 2007

Questions nobody asked

Why do we have one week of spring break while the two neighboring districts have two?

It's all about substitute teachers. They run the union, sometimes, when the rest of us are too busy to go to after school meetings across town 'cause we're directing shows or coaching teams or dealing with report card deadlines. They have always had a disproportional political clout in our district, and have managed to use it to make sure they get the best shake for themselves, sometimes at the expense of others. Thus, adding three days off after the easter weekend to give us a two-week break is seen as costing subs three potential days work, so the students and other staff all have to go in while neighboring districts don't.

Why the calamine lotion this week?

Three days of hives. Don't know what I reacted to, but we think we've narrowed it down to some no-name cranberry juice. Not fun.

What's keeping you from blogging?

I know I promised more once the degree was finished, but a staff meeting 'til six on Tuesday, running my folks back and forth from doctor's appointments, and a "meet the teacher" evening on Thursday have made a liar out of me.

What/who is on your mind?

A friend I had a short visit with yesterday who is dealing with something difficult and I wish I could just wave a magic wand and help it not to hurt so much.

What is disturbing you right now?

I've been looking forward to hockey season in a couple weeks--I can actually watch some games on t.v. this year--but after seeing Bay's facebook, I think she may have soiled my team...

Anything good happening?

Lots. Last night a nice dinner out with my wife--we're in a rut, maybe, going to the same few restaurants, but why change when you always have a great time somewhere?

What else are you doing?

Besides catching up on yard work, etc--I guess I'm working a lot on fixing up the Cynical Career Counselor page. I'm going to put every single entry back on that site.

Back to work...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like this format. its like watching two strangers on the bus have a conversation and being really good at pretending you're not listening.

then you go home and wright it all down.

rh

Anonymous said...

sorry about my spelling


*hides in shame*