Monday, September 24, 2007

A Call for Submissions

Yeah, that title's going to get a bunch of academic types wandering by.

I need help, folks, and here's your chance to impact young lives for years to come. At my school, like so many others, we use computer coded report card comments. You assign each student a letter grade, an effort mark, and then have the option of giving one or two coded comments. Examples of short comments include:
"NO SKETCHBOOK" (Did I mention they're all in capital letters? We like to yell our thoughts.)
"INCOMPLETE JOURNAL"
and, my personal favorite:
"TOP NOTCH MANAGER"

Examples of long ones include:
"SATISF. WORK-MUST CONTINUE TO WORK HARD" (yes, the abbreviation is on the report card)
"NEEDS TO DEVELOP A MORE SERIOUS ATTITUDE"
and
"PLAYS WITH INTENSITY AND EXPRESSION"

We're having a department meeting on Thursday, and each department has been asked to review their area's particular comments. For me, that means I need to look at the lame drama ones I inherited that were created probably 20 years ago and that I rarely use. Some examples of these are:
"IMPROVEMENT NOTED"
"DIFFICULTY WORKING IN GROUPS"
and
"CONTRIBUTES WELL TO GROUP IMPROVISATION"

What I need from you are suggestions--they can be drama-specific, or more general and applicable to a wide range of subjects. I welcome both serious suggestions and those which are a little more tongue in cheek. (and if the words "tongue" and "cheek" appear in your comment you get bonus points)

Fire away.

4 comments:

amandaaaaa said...

"DOES NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS"

"NEEDS TO GET HER TONGUE OUT OF JASON'S CHEEK"

[:

i'm always, "HARD WORKER -- KEEP IT UP"

my complaint was never how they were in all capitals, but how there was never any punctuation or inflection attached. hmm.

Unknown said...

"CAPABLE OF BETTER WORK" is another that appears in my household. Fortunately, relatively infrequently.

Camila said...

ACTS OUT IN CLASS

SHOULD SNORT FEWER LINES, LEARN MORE

SUCKS LESS NOW

PATHETIC

or, howdya feel about getting fired?

TALENTED TONGUE


I think the simplest ones are best: excellent work. much improved. lacks focus. has talent; lacks effort.

for drama, EXPRESSIVE BUT LACKS DISCIPLINE and DEDICATED BUT LACKS EXPRESSION seem to be the two most common i've observed in class... along with FLAT OUT DREADFUL and FANTASTIC. I think that should cover most people, really...

j said...

Bonus marks for "jourdan" and Camila. (Though now I wonder what sort of comments HHS put out there)

I will be skipping parent-teacher interviews in two weeks--"oops, I accidentally booked those tickets to Spamalot in Seattle that day". Of course, that takes away my annual chance to make the joke about the giant box o' condoms to hand out to certain parents with the "don't let it happen again" comment.