Thursday, August 30, 2007

just in time for school to start

Now my profs are back, and I've had a chance to quickly edit and put the project together, it feels almost done. I turned in a complete copy of it--from title page to appendices and everything in between--to both my profs this afternoon.

Hopefully, aside from a few minor edits--like trying to make the stupid table of contents line up better (have I mentioned I hate Word sometimes?) it should not require much more of my life. Of course, I shouldn't count my chickens, I suppose.

My oral defence is Tuesday--2:30 our time. Send good thoughts or a prayer my way, would ya?

I think I'm treating myself to a new laptop tomorrow. It's my last official day as a fully registered student, technically, so I don't know if I qualify for student rates after that. (Plus they're throwing in a free ipod, and that's how I got my first one two years ago.)

Now I'm off to take my son off to do his last minute shopping for his sister's birthday tomorrow. It's also my parents' anniversary, but because of the two events on the same day I'm going to drop off their card and presents tonight. The way things are going, this is likely the last "real" anniversary for them--even if they're both still around by this time next year, the way things are going, I doubt mom will be mentally able to grasp what's going on by then.

I guess I'd always thought they'd make the 50th. Now it seems unlikely. This is #47.

After the festivities of the weekend are done--daughter's "friends" birthday is here on Saturday--then life will be about getting my classes organized, editing the musical from last spring, and sorting out what to do with the New York trip very quickly. (oh, that and the little matter of making the final decision on this year's musical and how we're going to build the set with no building trades class in the building any more)

Plus the school's a complete chaotic disaster because of earthquake-proofing renovations and it's likely the gym will be closed for at least 6+ weeks and well, guess whose room they'll come after when it starts to rain outside?

Welcome to the 2007-08 school year.

On the bright side--I have finally been able to start on my reading list--books for fun, not thesis stuff for a change. I recently finished "Snobs" (Yes, I know--bold full books; just put quotation marks for short story, article or poem titles--I'm lazy.) which Milly recommended, and now I'm reading Madame Bovary.

I have a fairly lengthy reading list given to me over the last couple of years by an internet friend that I'm going to start on as well. Sadly I'm not able to thank this person for that--same person who got me hooked on This American Life--but I am grateful nonetheless.

Good luck to those of you who've already started school, who are starting it next week, or who are simply going on with work/life/plans you've made. I think the blog will be getting more regular attention now.

4 comments:

Jenny G said...

Good luck on Tuesday!

Camila said...

congratulations on finishing up! I'll be sending you good thoughts on Thursday, though I can't guarantee I'll get the time right.

Unknown said...

Remind me to tell you a story about my dad's defense of his dissertation sometime. Hopefully you won't have a tornado interrupt yours I'm sure you're very glad this stage is nearing completion.

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts and prayers on your oral defense. How are you? Let's talk by email sometime. Alexis