Monday, December 01, 2008

Got the magic power of the music in me...

Saturday's a good day to go to the care home. If you're there in the morning, they have tea and something to eat down in the first floor dining area.

My dad and I got there a little later than usual, went up to get mom from the 3rd floor (there are five floors; it's a fairly big place) and then came down to see the main area was full. We took her over to a quiet fireplace area in the empty meeting room and one of the staff saw us and offered to help me get them some of the cinnamon buns that smelled so good. I followed her to the kitchen and happened to hear one of the residents telling a staffer she wanted to sing.

They sometimes have a musician or someone lead them in some songs on Saturday mornings while they have their tea. There was nobody that day, so I offered--I know some Christmas stuff, if they liked. In a moment they were making space for my parents at a table and I was at the piano, playing a bunch of Christmas music I'd known since I was a kid.

I didn't see too much but I heard the old voices singing the songs they knew well; my dad told me later most were tapping out rhythm and a couple got up and began to dance--one old dear with her walker supporting her.

Last week's This American Life focused on the topic of music. All of the segments are certainly worth the time it takes to download the podcast--although it may not be available now the new one's up, but if you want it I can email it to you. David Sedaris's story of his dad's failed attempt to inspire his children to become jazz musicians, another regular's tales of her life as a high school band geek, and finally a powerful tale of music and faith in a church where traditional views had to be pushed aside by music to let love win out.

As someone who hears music around me all day long, and is watching my kids become more and more immersed in music in their own lives, it was great to listen to, and I think it's hooked my son on the show as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was such an inspiring christmas story! its hard to get in the christmas story when you are in a monsoon constantly, although its not too different than home. its nice to know that some people are still following the old traditions.. i havent heard one christmas song here yet, and i dont think many people even celebrate. i am determined to put up a christmas plant, at all costs!! but yeah, that was a really cute story.

rach

Jenny G said...

They only offer it for a week. Can you send it to me? JPrallster at aol dot com. Thanks!