Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Turkey and Rumours

Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends. It seems later than usual this year to me, although I don't keep careful track of the U.S. dates of the holiday.

I got home a little earlier for once yesterday, and my wife called me at the end of her workday, concerned about the situation at our son's school. One of her coworkers had told her his school was apparently in "lockdown" mode after a shooting.

I'd heard the story on the way home while listening to my car radio, fortunately. It wasn't our son's school, but rather one a few miles from my workplace that was in lockdown. Eventually it was revealed that someone had seen a toy gun someone had brought into school and this triggered the response that led to the police doing a thorough search and investigation.

Weird how that translated into a "shooting" at a school eight miles away. Probably because some people believe it's a more likely site for such things.

I'm frustrated with this blog right now; I've tinkered a lot with the settings, pasting in code and such, but still can't make the posts show whether there are comments posted. For instance, there are a couple on the entry below about the things I envy about the U.S., but you only see them if you click "post a comment" yourself. Otherwise you don't know they're there.

To respond to those comments--I was surprised to learn that PA is as strict about liquor sales as Jen explained. Is it because of the Quaker heritage? Odd how different it can be from one state to the next.

Must go prep my day now; at some point I'll post something more interesting, I hope.

1 comment:

Jenny G said...

I don't know if that's why, but I'm sure it has something to do with it.