Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Let it Snow, Let it Snow... Enough Already

Where have I been, oh faithful reader? (should I pluralize that?). Well, maybe there's a few of you. Sorry. I've been shoveling snow. And them shoveling more snow.

You may not know this, but we don't get much snow in this part of the world. Apparently we had a white Christmas in 1971--I was just a kid--but I can't actually remember a white Christmas. We never get them.

Except probably this year, barring some miraculous disappearance of the two feet of snow outside.

It started about 10 days ago--a Saturday night. It snowed. Then more, and more. We didn't get any days off school, although my kids did--their district cancelled.

As I write this, about 1:15 a.m., it's snowing quite heavily. Great. I'm supposed to go pick up my dad, my sister and then my mom and bring them all out here for lunch and our gift exchange, etc.

We have a strange conglomeration of 13 municipalities here, and to get to my various destinations tomorrow, I have to drive through six of them. The majority of those don't have much of a policy regarding snow clearing beyond "We ain't got no snow plows" so it's tricky, to say the least.

The police are kind enough to call the radio station after each new dump of snow to advise people to "stay off the roads if possible". Great--after how many weeks do you think we'll surface for the bare essentials? Oh, and it is Christmas.

I will say, it is very pretty, and all those songs--White Christmas, Winter Wonderland, Let it Snow--they seem somehow more appropriate. It IS beginning to look a lot like Christmas, and as we sit by the fire, the lights on the tree, the snow outside and the seasonal songs playing softly in the background, it's actually very nice.

Here are a few pics:
























































And I got a little more artsy for this last one; I liked the icicle in the tree--I should probably crop the photo, though.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually wondered if you were "enjoying" some snow. Today it's a balmy 50 degrees here, slight wind. Yesterday was frigid but not today.

Merry Christmas!

Jenny G said...

Beautiful, but ugh. I feel for you. We were in the 50s yesterday; today is a little colder.