Monday, April 03, 2006

A class act

It's been less than two weeks since I emailed Carrie Fleming, a former student, after finding her email address online. I asked if she were in town sometime if she'd come visit my acting class. Today she did.

It's strange to think she was 15 when she was in my class and also the first musical I ever directed--that was 16 years ago. Now she's got a long and interesting list of performance credits in film, t.v. and commercials. It was fun to listen to some of the stories of things that she's experienced and learned.

Recently she was featured in the "Masters of Horror" cable series starring in an episode directed by Dario Argento. "Suspiria" is probably this italian director's best known movie. She also told us about recently being sent a script by a director I won't reveal here, but I guarantee you know the name.

Afterwards, it was nice to catch up over a drink and I think we'll have her back again before long, perhaps to do some audition practice with some of the group. Here's a pic of Carrie with Ashley and Rachel (who were most impressed by the fact she was in an episode of L-word, I suspect):














It was a cool afternoon, all round.

3 comments:

katiedid said...

Whoa. That would be mind-blowing. Effing Dario Argento? One of the real friggin' masters of the horror genre? Wow. Although, I suspect you're correct in assuming The L-word would be more impressive to the younger set, sadly. Holy cow, J, that's so cool she came to visit. One day those kids will remember that and brag about it.

ella m. said...

~jumps up and down~ katiedid you also love argento? Excellent taste.

Are you at all familiar with Fulci?

I'm assuming ms. fleming played the title role in the "Jennifer" episode?

All of the facial prosthtic effects must've been damned uncomfortable.

Kate said...

Dario Argento... merrr. I won't go into that.

But The L Word... yeeeeaahhhh, baby!