Thursday, June 23, 2005

J.J. and L.W. Shizznat with Mogo and Dwoeeeby

Yes that is stupid gibberish. Some of it is taken from real yearbook grad writeups. I think I'll post a few real ones some time so we can point and mock.

Many grad writeups are great--sentimental messages directed at family, friends, or teachers, while others make witty observations about life or humorous predictions for the future. But then there are the wannabe gangstas who feel that lots of "izzle" words, interspersed with long lists of friends' initials and occasional internet abbreviations "ROTFL" or "LOL" make them look witty. pLuS AlwaYz mEsS arOuNd wIt' cApiTaL lEtTeRz, yo.

News flash--when your kids pick up that yearbook some day in the future, they're going to ask "Dad, were you on drugs a lot in high school?" "Mom, were you in the 'special' class?"

Nobody, including you, is likely to remember what all those initials stand for, and when people dig the book out just before their reunions every ten years, your stupidity will be once again recalled.

I rant about this for two reasons. First, we got our yearbooks on Monday, and quite a few did the same old crap I hate. Second, my last couple of posts have been kind of "inside" posts--posts about a specific situation that has meaning to a very limited number of people who are in the know.

I don't want to turn everyone else off, just like the losers who write all the inside code words and initials. (BTW--News flash--we all know what 4/20 is about as well)

I do like to write parables, though. I can come out and give my opinion on someone's problem and likely annoy or offend them, or I can tell a story and hope they get the message. That's what I chose to do for the last blog.

But now we return to our regularly scheduled programming. Close captioning will be unnecessary.

8 comments:

Berkeley G. said...

Good. It's nice to know I'm not an idiot who was just missing something in your last few posts...not that the fables weren't interesting. :)

And I agree about the yearbook thing. That's stupid and true that even THEY won't remember what everything stood for or what they were trying to say years from now.

j said...

But B.G.--the fables were about you...

;-)

J.

Berkeley G. said...

Don't do this to me, J. I'm very gulliable. So really, how is it possible that they were about me? You're kidding, right? Now you've confused me...

Jenny G said...

Every generation thinks it invented 4-20. There was a picture of our school in one of my yearbooks and my best friend drew a giant penis coming out of the roof. I should show it to her children when she has them.

j said...

Ahh B.G.,

Actually, I don't think from what I know about your situation (you're very honest about things in your blog) that either parable would quite apply to you, but I could try writing you one if you want me to.

J.

Berkeley G. said...

Okay, that clears things up. I'll admit that, after you said that, I re-read them and thought, "Wait, now that isn't like me at all."

:D said...

What is w/ the messing around w/ caps? I hate that. When I see that on someone's blog I want to hurt them. It's usually 15 yr olds though. Oh, and I only do initial's on my blog because I don't want to get fired, not because I think I'm cool. :-P

sandrine said...

Don't say "BG" because remember, in ten years neither of you will remember who it was.

When I was in 7th grade, I went to a privateish (long story) school up in VT, and the night before the first day, someone vandalized the front sign by writing "420" on it. I remember thinking it was crude and unoriginal.. so did most of the school.

God, I love Vermont.