Wednesday, September 23, 2009

tense

There are some of you who know my friend who's been living in Honduras for about two years now--she's more family than friend.

Things aren't good there at the moment, and while normally I might take some comfort in the fact that she's living on an island far from where most of the troubles might be, she and her girlfriend were on her way home for a visit--they had planned to be in Canada by tomorrow--and they're caught in this situation:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8270218.stm

I've been keeping up by chatting and messaging on line quite a bit, even yesterday at lunch from work, and they're stuck indoors just a couple of blocks from where a lot of the action was going on a couple days ago in Tegucigalpa.

Today I'm having a quick coffee with her successor--the only other techie kid I've ever trusted with their own set of keys to the theatre--to say goodbye before she heads off Friday to live in Nicaragua.

I need to start giving those keys to people I don't like.

In the meantime, I'm sending prayers and thoughts that my Honduras friends will soon be out of that and here for a while. No doubt there will be some pressure not to go back from those who care but I'll trust they know the best course of action.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holding a good thought for your friends' safe return.

Jane Doe said...

Hello J! It's been FOREVER! I started a new blog, wanted to keep the other but not write on it. It's so good to read your posts again and the pics of your yard are beautiful! I hope everything is still going well for you! This is B.G. from "My Thoughts Exactly" by the way. :)