Sunday, October 28, 2007

Nanowrimo

It's very close to that time again folks--National Novel Writing Month.

Just as I have Amelia to thank (or blame) for getting me started on blogging a few years ago, I can thank Camila for introducing me to this event, which I rather foolishly attempted in 2005. (I was trying to complete a masters and working full time and... well, it was silly of me.)

I think maybe I got about 1/4 through and crashed.

Back then I, as many others do, created an online location where my novel was posted as it was being created. I shared it only with others doing the same thing, and maybe one or two privileged souls. I remember reading the one that Camila had written the year before (what was she, maybe 11?) and thinking it very good.

This time I'm ready. At least I like to think so. It's a marathon of words and I feel like I have a little better idea of how to start this grind. Plus--no masters.

I invite you to consider joining me in this adventure. The website, if you want to sign up is nanowrimo.org.

I don't know who of my nano "buddies" will be doing it again this year; I know Camila has said she's on board, and I suspect that Katie H. will be finding art school too crazy busy to allow the time. As for Bayley, well, I have sent her a message but I don't know.

But there are others among you. If she were not leaving for India during the month, this would be a great thing for Milly to try during her year off school. I think, from what I've read, that 'neuroticmom' could do a biting satire behind the scenes of a legal office, and I think 'Jourdan' is also someone whose skills would be up to the challenge.

I don't know if Jenny P. could turn road rage into a full length book :P
or if Berkeley G's dysfunctional roommate anectdotes would provide enough fodder for this sort of project.

If Ella still visits, I think her work stories alone would fill a book, and her adolescence yet another.

Dustin, based on your improv, I think you might be able to pull it off (and maybe turn it into English credit to make up for unavoidable class absences).

If I haven't mentioned you, that doesn't mean I don't extend the invitation.

Think about it.

I'm not sure how free I'll be with the address of wherever I end up posting my novel attempt. I will, of course, give it to anyone else attempting their own, and hope that they reciprocate.

I could just create a new blog with this i.d., then all you'd have to do is check my profile and there it would be. Alternately, I could use the profile of another, less public writing place, but then anyone who finds the novel gets that. Hmm.

Likely I'll make it available to anyone who visits here.

The gauntlet is down.

3 comments:

Jenny G said...

Oh, I could definitely turn my road rage into a full-length novel :). Unfortunately, because of school, the last thing I want to do is type more.

Camila said...

IT IS OCT 29 and I still have NO IDEA.

well. maybe lots of poorly formed ideas.

I am so jealous that you know what you will write about. Me, I am hoping for some Halloween-time inspiration.

Really, really, really hoping.

Unknown said...

I'm definitely on board to do this. Given the source of my inspiration, it may be at another blog. Yet to be determined. I CAN do this.