Sunday, December 03, 2006

Poetry by Dythandra

Unwilling Accomplice
He sits at the back--just like me
Looking bewildered when he hears:
"Just find a partner for the project".

We don't attract partners--
Or any human contact, really.
The difference is,
I work at it,

While his leprosy occurs more naturally.

It's awkward at the end--
The teacher peers over her charges
"Anyone not have a partner?"
We say nothing, but then
A little cheer whore obliges:

"Those two don't have partners"

The teacher smiles and assigns us each other
With no more thought
Than I gave the beetle
I killed before breakfast.

He looks in my direction
Won't meet my eyes.
I'm not going to make it easy
But then the blonde princess titters
So I glance daggers at her
And join my new... friend.

I pull a desk beside his and roll my eyes
We read the lab instructions
In uncomfortable silence.

He picks at his cuticles 'til they bleed;
While I draw portraits of Tiffany with electrodes,
Decorating her skin.

It's mind-numbingly simple
Earth Science is to real science
What podiatry is to neurosurgery.

We are required to meet on the weekend,
Our task: a trek into the park
To number the carbon-based lifeforms
In one square meter of greenspace.

We meet at his house;
I'd rather not give my parentals false hope
Of pseudo-social interactions,
Plus his family's expressions
When I arrive--too delightful to miss.

It's a short trek to our research site,
Then we look about for the best spot
To perform our grubby census.

He defers to my determination--
I can spot decomp
From a quarter mile away.

Sure enough, our little piece of nature
Yields the sad remnants
Of a family of racoons

No doubt the parents were eaten
Or squashed by an SUV
Too soon for their offspring to survive.

We count the things that call the little corpses home
and I take a few quick digicam pics
While my partner tries hard
Not to look squeamish.

Soon our list is complete
Bugs, grubs and maggots
A veritable city
Just beneath the surface.

As he starts to leave,
I pull out a freezer bag.
He waits awkwardly
While I kidnap the lower life forms.

Monday is a grand success.
I actually meet a deadline
And Tiffany has an unfortunate
But assuredly accidental
Mishap with red ants.

It's quite a scene--she screams and flails about
Before fleeing the room.

Her partner, with his nonchalant good looks
Quietly passes me a note:
"Next time I work with you".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nonchalant good looks? ooooo weeeee.

Anonymous said...

All you listen to is Ani DiFranco! Quit it with the lesbians!

Jeez. Go download some JT or something. Actually, scratch out the "or something" and just download FutureSex/LoveSound. It's big, man.

Anonymous said...

Hmm--

And you're listening to "need a man blues" right now. Actually, Ani is married to one of them--fairly recent.

hehe--yeah, I know, most of her fans aren't suffering those blues.

But blame R.--she was in the booth, and I have a need to conform to my "other culture" after all.

bah--we're now talking about it on msn so I'll set you straight in that venue.

Anonymous said...

"We meet at his house;
I'd rather not give my parentals false hope
Of pseudo-social interactions." I love that part! You are so good at this! :)