Friday, July 21, 2006

too hot

It was 90 at 8 tonight--bleah. We had left the house closed up while we were all out most of the day, so it was probably 100 inside.

Plus I was cruising around town in a little tin bucket w/out air while mine was in for maintenance.

There--whining done.

Item for consideration--while in Qualicum, we noticed a hospice there named "Valhalla". Anyone else think that's in questionable taste?

Had lunch w/ Alix today. I feel sorry for anyone who works in a restaurant kitchen in the summer (which she does). Tonight we were at my in-laws and rather than cook we decided to go to KFC where, unfortunately for the employees, there's no air conditioning. It must've been hellish in the kitchen, because it was disgustingly hot out by the counter, and they couldn't manage to keep up with the orders--a bunch of people got cranky and took refunds and left.

Up the Fraser Canyon--maybe two hours inland from Vancouver, it was 42 today--a bit over 107.

I recall as a kid we went on holidays through that area in a car without air conditioning, and camped in a tent. I don't think we could manage that with my family without killing each other.

I know that folks down south are mocking our wimpiness now. Wait for global warming, my friends. You'll want real estate up here, I bet.

2 comments:

Jenny G said...

"Anyone else think that's in questionable taste?"

That's horrible!

Camila said...

I dunno... I don't think I'd mind. I mean, most hospices, the implied motto is "Come here to wait in relative comfort for your death! We might amuse you with some vapid, unobjectionable activities like bingo!"

But Valhalla... It's all like "GRAWR! You are a WARRIOR! Come here and await with EXCITEMENT and BLOODY VIOLENCE and MEAD for... who cares what you're waiting for! GRAWR!"

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather die in Valhalla than in, I don't know, Tapioca Hospice.