Monday, December 19, 2005

writer's block...

I've got nothin' folks.

I was going to write a rundown of the NY trip briefly, so maybe that will suffice for now. I'll probably do it in a couple/three installments so as to reduce the boredom.

We left late Wednesday night (dec. 7) from here--flew to Vancouver, then our plane to Toronto left late so we missed our connection to newark and got in to around 10:30 a.m.--about two hours late. Our guide met us at the airport and we were taken to our hotel--the Bentley on the upper east side near the queensborough bridge. Problem was, even though we'd been awake for more than 24 hours (aside from a lucky few who could doze on the flights) we couldn't check in--we had to stow our stuff and head out.

We rode the subway for the first time--something we were to become very used to. We headed to the big tree at Rockefeller Center, next to the skating rink, and turned the group loose (following the minimum of 3 with at least on cell phone rule).


We came back to the hotel eventually, checked in, unpacked and then eventually headed ck downtown to eat--"barbecue" for our first meal. That night, it was the Empire State Building--and a couple of our group actually witnessed a guy go onto one knee and propose there.

What struck me was that the security there is pretty much the same as at an airport and also how amazingly quiet it is up there, above everything. It is kind of an amazing view. Unfortunately it was bloody cold up there that night, and the cameras didn't do justice to the view, on the most part. Here's a little example, though:








Friday morning we woke up to 3 - 4 inches of snow and some of the biggest flakes falling I've ever seen. It was actually quite pretty walking around Manhattan in it.



When we had eaten breakfast (most of us at a deli near times square) we then headed to a two-hour improv workshop in a studio right near times square. By the time we were finished, the sun was out and the sky was blue. We had great weather for the rest of our trip.

I'm tired, so I'll post more later...

1 comment:

Berkeley G. said...

Sounds like fun. As I previously said I think, I'm so jealous you got to be there. How fun!

We do need to chat. I'll be completely not busy for tonight and some of tomorrow so send me an email (I'm going to get some dinner and then I'll check my email, so maybe a few hours) and we'll plan a time to talk. ~BG