Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The pedestal was uncomfortable, but,
You'd been on it so long it seemed natural.
Stretched out, balanced on a fine point, spotlights bright.

When the bumps would come, a slip, a fall--some cracks...
It took time to repair, and then you were back
Balanced once more.

It didn't look very comfortable, but we accepted it
As the way things were--lots of people liked the pedestal.

Then one day, after another bump, I heard the other sound
The falls hurt, more than I had realized.
There had to be a better way.

There was a chair. It wasn't on a pedestal, but it was comfortable.
Friendship instead of perfection
No spotlights to blind, and in seeing without the glare,
We realized that comfortable and safe were better
Than living life as an icon.

Every so often, I see you step towards the pedestal,
Perhaps I even push without realizing.
Tomorrow I'm going to smash it.
We don't need it any more.


I don't normally ever write anything that isn't tongue
in cheek when it comes to poetry, but maybe I'm just
maudlin tonight. Sorry if it's not relevant for most--
I hope the intended audience can relax and feel safe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stupid pedestal.

Ruined my life!

Good poem though.

-Murdoch

Anonymous said...

That's really pretty.

I like it a lot. You should be in Poets In The Schools but OH SNAPS that would be weird.

msevangeline said...

hmm. brings me back.