Sunday, December 04, 2005

and on the 2nd Sunday of Advent...

Some opinions:

1) Dumbledore isn't very good--the actor, I mean. I know some have problems with various of the kids in the Potter movies, but really, Michael Gambon has neither the power nor the twinkle in the eye that one expects from Dumbledore. I never was all that keen on Richard Harris's casting in the first one either. Now--attack me if you must--but I would have given the role to Patrick Stewart. I know his recognizability from Star Trek and some other things might not have made some keen on him, but I think he could have been made to "look" enough like the character and he would've had the fire in his performance to bring more life to Dumbledore.

2) Christmas pudding. I don't really hate it, nor like it much, but if you're going to eat it at all, make sure you've got the sauce and maybe a little of the really expensive vanilla ice cream.

3) Turkey--if you're a vegetarian I may love you but I won't eat Christmas dinner at your house. I will find you something to eat if you come to mine, though. Crackers, perhaps...

4) "Elf" is not yet a Christmas classic. Neither is the Jim Carrey "Grinch". Sorry. The only movie made in the last 30 years that has made it into that elite category is "A Christmas Story" with Peter Billingsly--I love so many moments from that movie.. They played a clip from "It's a Wonderful Life" at church this morning--I still think that's my favorite.

5)Egg nog--it's a good thing. With rum it's better. With nutmeg... well--that's a personal preference, I suppose.

6) ICICLE LIGHTS!!--Please please take them down. Seriously. Especially if you have a string of colored lights and hang the white icicle lights over them. You are no longer allowed to decorate or dress yourself if you do that.

Three more sleeps 'til we leave for New York...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If that's the movie with the boy who wants the toy gun thing for christmas, and the leg lamp, etc. Then I have to say, it's my favourite christmas movie, and one of my favourite movies ever. That movie is amazing.

I've yet to see the new Harry Potter and thus have no opinion on Dumbleydore.

And who doesn't love rum and egg nog.

Milly Nez said...

What about The Muppet Christmas Carol???


Please tell me that you merely forgot.