Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Deck the Halls with Awkward Moments

1. On Friday evening my wife and I had a lovely dinner out and then decided to do a little Christmas shopping after. We ran into some folks we know; the wife works with my wife sometimes, and their daughter's in my program, and had a great visit outside a store for about 45 minutes.

Awkward moment: I ranted at one point to the husband about how much I hate the program we use for attendance and grades in this province (by government mandate) only to discover that he's been working on the software for over a year now. I wished he'd mentioned what he'd been doing for a living since leaving the navy before I made the remarks about the software designers having compromising photos of government ministers to blackmail them into forcing us all to use the program. *sigh*

2. 12th grade student sent in her "fave five" to local station that plays the songs I don't love (see posts recently) and was selected for this lunchtime's winner. She took the phone call here in the theatre, then I put the station on the theatre sound system when the segment came on. Remember that "Whatchya Say" song I ranted about before? She hates it to. The radio station ignored two of her requests, and passed off that song along with another she hates as two of her "fave five". Nice--the city hears her name, her school, and these songs she despises as her favorites.

Oh, and her big prize? 4 tickets (worth 4 bucks apiece) to a Christmas craft sale. I doubt anyone who actually listens to that station would likely go to any craft sales at any time of the year.

She's considering her legal options...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice that you were able to enjoy an evening out!

I suspect your friend has heard it all before re: programming. Most programmers like to know about bugs/glitches/issues- gives them a new problem to work on.