Saturday, May 24, 2008

Celeb-ration

Wow--the bad puns seem to be pretty much automatic these days. It actually works pretty well as a title for this post, though.

As we drove into Manhattan from the Airport last Saturday, a couple of the kids started talking about how they hoped to see some celebrities. Right. A city of 8 million+ and we're going to bump into famous people.

I mean, sure if you pay to see them in a show you'll be within a certain distance of the genuine article, but otherwise, I told them, don't expect it.

The next day we went to Lincoln Centre. At the end of the tour, we finished where folks were milling about during the intermission of a performance by the National Chorale. Christopher Lloyd walked right by me--only I and another student recognized him. I remember him best from Taxi, while students know him as "Doc" from Back to the Future.

On Tuesday night we went to Hairspray. "Norm" from Cheers--George Wendt--plays the mother. Once again, the performance was great. Sure, if you're talking celeb spotting, you probably can't count a show you paid to see, but we had good tickets and it was a great show, so whatever.

Wednesday afternoon we were in the NBC Nightly News studio during a tour and in the studio next to us--glass between us, except for a door-sized opening--was Kevin Spacey, there for an interview. That impressed the kids more than Christopher Lloyd.

So maybe celeb spotting isn't all that difficult.

When our flight to Toronto got cancelled going home--this was in Laguardia--I went to the desk to find out what we were supposed to do next. I had noticed sitting across the way a woman who looked strangely familiar--I was sure I'd seen her in something.

She ended up behind me and came over to the counter with me, asking if it was okay with me if she eavesdropped--she wrongly thought her flight had been cancelled. After, I asked her if she was a performer, because I was sure I'd seen her in something. She looked a bit sheepish and said she hadn't performed in the past three years, but yes, she'd done a bunch of theatre in New York, as well as some commercials and was on a soap opera for a while.

Later, I chatted briefly with her again, still trying to figure out what I'd seen her in. She hadn't been out to the west coast or in any of the musicals I'd seen, nor had she worked with the production company whose director had come to my class and shown us stuff from her lesser-known Canadian films.

She told me her name, and I think I got it right when I 'Imdb'd" it, but not much other than one movie credit showed up.

I'll figure it out eventually.

2 comments:

Berkeley G. said...

What an awesome trip! I've been to NYC twice and didn't see celebs either time, so you're just lucky, haha. We didn't do as cool of things as you did there, either, so I'm very jealous. I hope you are doing good, I know it's been a while. :)

Camila said...

Look at those kids and their youthful enthusiasm, showing up you and your cynicism... :D