Saturday, January 12, 2008

Pandering

I understand that times change and I am not adverse to making art more accessible, at least in principle. I don't recoil in horror at the idea that an opera company might make the English translation available on the backs of seats (was it Lincoln Center I saw that?) or on a surtitle or subtitle screen.

I accept that the "Leonardo" Romeo and Juliet with its opening gunplay at a gas station or tabloid news introduction is likely to appeal more to the average adolescent than the BBC recording of a staged performance.

Still, I heard about this on my car radio today:

"Play! A Video Game Symphony"

Click the link, then lament the end of civilization as we know it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, for one, welcome our new video game overlords

Berkeley G. said...

Oh, God that's awful. What is the world coming to? I hated the Leonardo Romeo and Juliet. It was too modern to even be really romantic or believable. I also hated the recent Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightley. The old 6 hour one was much better. Why can't we let what's classic remain in it's classical form, you know? I agree with you!