Thursday, March 15, 2007

Our Very Own "Overheard in..."

Many of you are familiar with "Overheard in New York". I know we've wasted a fair amount of time in the booth giggling over some of the entries. Many of them, honestly, are disturbing bordering on disgusting--others are just sort of... surreal.

Back in the fall, I think it was, R and I started paying attention to some things we were hearing in our little domain. We made a list, and added a few to it every so often. Here, for your viewing pleasure, I offer real things heard by myself or R during a typical weekday:

“You guys and all your drama. It should be a novel. I wouldn’t read it, though”
- M in Serious Coffee

“So it’s vogue, vogue, adopt an African child, vogue”
- morning dance class in theatre

“What’s that--a comic? I thought French people only read Tin Tin and Asterix and Obelix” - to an exchange student from France on way into theatre

I should join the lesbian separatists--I’ve got the boots for it.

“Cute in like an 85 year old way?”

“They found this salt patch that was from before the earth exploded and killed all the dinosaurs”

The amoebas have special powers--like special dinosaur powers”

Sitting in a sauna with seven layer dip--that’s like my dream.
--the booth

Student: Would you like a slinky?
Principal: Do you have several?
- hallway

Since you left the group, you’re the girl

I have two more lesbians that I never even had lined up before

“I remember what the poem’s about because I think of the circle of life that’s a song and it’s called song and …oh, I don’t want to talk anymore. You’re writing that aren’t you; I hate you.”
-
R

Why won’t your mom let us give him aids?
-
Alix

His present’s cool--I want polio.

I didn’t know you could get that from giving head--but it’s weird that your mom told you.

I have SDS--Severe Dumbass Syndrome

“I was in festival--I had a hiphop solo, and the audience intimidated me because they weren’t jews”
-H

ME: “That ‘no intoxicants’ rule means no smoking dope on the trip.”
Student: “That’s okay--I’m going cold turkey for two weeks before the trip and buying some new clothes.”
Me and T (discussing the London trip)

3 comments:

Milly Nez said...

Is "M" me? Because I don't remember saying that. Although it's true-- I woudn't read the novel.

sandrine said...

My own out-of-context from the AP U.S. History class Camila and I sit next to each other in...

"Just imagine Janet Jackson's breasts floating through the Gulf of Mexico and killing all the marine life."
- Our teacher (he's a very cool guy)

Berkeley G. said...

Those are some of the most HILARIOUS things I think I've ever heard! I was laughing out loud! I can't believe you overhear such funny things each day--that would put me in such a good mood!

P.S. I am still broke, but as soon as I get some money (prob. after Spring Break) I'm planning on getting Skype.