Friday, September 23, 2005

The Kid Who Sits Behind You Explains

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson

So this story's all about some hicksville fair and there's this woman who's there with her family and it's all small town crap like when I go to stay with my cousin at his farm and his family makes me go to the 4H fair and like I'm supposed to be all happy 'cause on account of I get a candy apple and to ride on some lameass ferris wheel. Plus all the decent looking chicks are like already engaged on account of they get married the day they graduate from high school.

Anyway, this fair has some sort of big lottery and I'm thinking it's for some pie or something but this chick in the story she's all not wanting to win, which I think is kind of generous of her and all, but then her family gets picked and she wants her kids to win and stuff and I'm thinking nice mom but then... Wh0a!

This lottery kind of sucks--and I don't mean like that draw we had in grade 7 to ride in the cop car with officer "needs some deodorant" sucked, but it really sucks. I guess it would be kinda wrong to tell you how it all ends because then you won't even bother reading the story.

But whoa--I've been stoned at a fair before and all, but this... I mean, it was a rock concert, dude, but there ain't no headliner.

I wonder if that's too big a hint. Oh well, you ain't gonna read it anyway, or you wouldn't be botherin' with this.

2 comments:

katiedid said...

This? Is brilliant. My favorite out of the whole series so far. Really. This one takes the cake. Specifically "officer 'needs some deordorant' sucked." Hee! I don't know what else to say, since that was frigging perfect.

j said...

Aww, thanks my Oregonian friend.

'tis encouraging.

j.