Saturday, October 23, 2010

Vancouver, and some rambling on social housing

It's been over two decades since I called Vancouver home, and staying downtown this weekend and traveling about has been interesting.

The lines one could draw on the map between affluent and disadvantaged areas seem just as clear and the contrasts as stark as I recall, but in some of the sketchier areas you can see signs of improvement. I suppose that started in the mid-80s with the Expo renewal and the recent Olympic development has continued that, though the conversion of Olympic athlete residences to provide some lower-income housing hasn't proceeded as smoothly as was promised.

Gentrification has its victims--folks who call the skid row neighborhood home have nowhere to go when upscale condo residents organize to legislate them away from their new homes. Unless a concurrent increase in emergency shelter beds accompanies such development, the folks in the direst situations simple are forced to congregate in increasing numbers in smaller and smaller areas--and the contrast between rich and poor neighborhoods becomes even more dramatic.

Closer to home, I have watched my brother-in-law as the process of building a shelter next to his auto repair shop goes forward. While some others in the area have fought to block what they see as a potential disaster which will bring in all sorts of social problems and drive away customers, he's chosen to engage in the process, and been part of the committee which is working to make this new facility a success.

What has yet to be determined, now that this new building is becoming operational, is how many of the street people will choose to take advantage of what is offered. It is a great facility, but like any of its kind, it has to have basic rules and expectations, and folks who are suffering from addictions or mental illnesses may feel that the freedom of the street, while more dangerous and uncomfortable, is still preferable for them.

We'll know soon.

2 comments:

Alexis said...

Hi John,

It's Alexis, your old blog friend from Chicago. I did the old now dead blog Light out of darkness. How are you and your family? What's new?

Me: I just got married this Oct. 10, 2010. My husband Robert and I have a blog http://dreamingdinner.wordpress.com. I live in CT now close to NYC. My email is azinkerman@gmail.com.
Alexis

j said...

Congrats! I do recall that you were engaged, I think, so it's nice to hear about the wedding.

And close to NYC is always good, in my opinion.

j.