Friday, April 23, 2010

It's On!

Yep, we're going.

We'll hope that the warnings about the neighbouring volcano which always erupts when the currently active one does are premature. (That sentence would be a lot better if I would bother to find the unpronounceable name of the one that's been in the news.)

Unlike the previous school trips to NY and London, this one won't have a local guide with us most of the time. I've got the directions and maps and there's a lot of self-navigating. The trick will be not to lose any of our 30 young charges in either city. Fortunately, the majority of the kids with us are French immersion types, so that will be helpful in Paris. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much useless except for comedic value when I try the language.

Now that we're definitely going, the Canucks will probably start winning. My dad and I have been following the team since it came into the league when I was in 3rd grade, and they've never one the cup--haven't done anything significant in the playoffs since '94.

Dad doesn't likely have too many years left, so it would be nice if they were still playing when I get home so we can watch some more playoff games together. With sucky goaltending and a defense corps riddled with injuries, it's not that likely.

Neuroticmom, looks like your son will get to see Ovechkin for another round despite some early worries--not sure about the Red Wings though. Jen--both your state's teams will likely be in the next round (one already is)--who do you cheer for again? (No, besides the Bears.)

Maybe I'll need to set the alarm for 4 a.m. to see some hockey online while I'm there...
(probably not)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoy your trip. Glad it's all working out!

Jenny G said...

Crossing my fingers that all goes well for you! I don't follow the NHL too closely, so I'm for the Pens or the Flyers.