Monday, January 04, 2010

Happy New Year!

I won't bother putting a lot of resolutions here; they usually look much the same from year to year anyway. This time last year I was shocked to discover my actual weight, so I resolved to lose 20 pounds and ended up losing 22 in 12 weeks. This year I find I've gained about 10 back, so my target's a bit lower.

I won't promise to blog more, since we're moving into a crazy busy time with show prep and semester end, but I do have some thoughts about content of the blog I might resolve to keep. We'll see.

There seems to be a media blackout on a sad local story from last week. Within a mile of our house somebody crashed into a power pole at 3:00 a.m. New Years day, probably on the way home from a party, and likely alcohol was involved.

The driver was the only occupant of the car, as far as the reports indicate, and was killed. The police wouldn't give any details, even the gender of the driver.

Then, a couple of days ago, my son shows me a few facebook pages--a guy who graduated from his school in '08 posts on New Years eve he's going out drinking, and then the next day there are posts about losing him that indicate he has died. Considering he's from this part of town, I suspect he's the one from the accident.

I know the stuff my son found on facebook about this has impacted him, and he wanted to talk about it with me. I'm sorry for the family who've lost this young man, but if it's a straightforward case of death from drinking and driving, I wonder why they would keep it hushed up when it has the power to help drive home the message once more to an at-risk population?

On a lighter note--do you have any resolutions for the New Year?

2 comments:

Jenny G said...

Yeah, they lost a great teaching moment by sweeping that under the rug. Maybe the kid's parents had something to do with it. What's the legal drinking age in Canada?

Hope you had a great New Year!

j said...

The kid would be legal--it's 19 here so by his grad year he's at least that old--but I found myself wondering the same thing you suggested, that maybe somebody had some pull to keep it quiet.