Saturday, July 09, 2011

Paris


It's been five lovely days in Paris for us--my second visit in as many years.  This time, with family, allowed for a bit better taste of local life.  For instance, we had a kitchen in the hotel, so we shopped at a nearby grocery store and also stopped each day at a bakery to get our supply of baguettes and pain au chocolat. 

We stayed in Charenton, or Porte de Charenton, I think, and I liked it much better then the area around our hotel last spring with my school group.  We felt comfortable coming and going even after midnight, arriving at a nearby Metro station and walking the few blocks to the hotel.

Culture shock.  Hmm, not so much, although the constantly having to try to communicate in French is at times a challenge.  Some things are different.  For instance, the rules about alcohol.  Even on the flight from Vancouver, things changed.  My son, still 17, is given an glass of wine with his meal.

He enjoyed wine several times in Paris, and no doubt he'll sample beer in England.  But when we're back home, we do need him to respect the fact that our laws are different. 

Another difference--public washrooms.  There are hardly any of them in Paris.  I don't know what people do exactly, but it's a far cry from home where public places all are required to have them, as are any places that serve food.

Still, it's an amazing city.  We had a lot of fun, and loved the Latin Quarter in particular.  Crepes.  They are something I'll miss the most when we get home.  

There are photos on my facebook, but I'll add a few here as well.  Next stop:  Eymet, in the southwest.





No comments: