Friday, July 22, 2011

Nottingham

The weather hasn't been spectacular, but the visit has been great.  We weren't sure how it would work out; we were offered lodging with some family friends, a retired couple, and I was a bit worried about how we'd all fit in their home, or just how we'd mesh with folks we barely knew.

Turned out amazingly--they had enough space to give the kids their own bedrooms, and this couple are great fun--witty, smartass repartee is the norm, and we got to see all sorts of cool places.

Sitting in the (left side) passenger front seat I'm now sure I was right not to plan on driving on this side of the channel--not just the confusion with the other side of the road, but compounded by double-lane roundabouts and trying to shift with my left hand while steering with my right.

We saw my mom's sister and her cousin, but my aunt told us that my mom's brother wasn't really up to coming out with us for a visit.  Fact is, neither he nor my aunt live in areas or homes that would be places they want to host us.  Also, this is the brother who is painfully shy.  When mom's oldest brother was still alive, he'd be the one who did most of the talking, while Fred wouldn't have to say much.

This was a disappointment--I never met George, who passed away a few years ago, and here was a chance to meet another uncle for the first time that didn't seem like it was going to happen.  I called my dad that night and he urged me to take another shot at getting together with him.  Dad suggested we offer to get together in the one place Fred my be comfortable--the pub.

He knew what he was talking about.  My aunt was surprised to hear we "drank beer" (mom and dad never touched alcohol) and that changed things.  So while wife and daughter were off with our hosts seeing the last lace factory in Britain, my son (still 17 at this point) got to join us for a couple of pints and a nice visit with family he'd never met.

Here are a few pics from the week:

This is the view from Nottingham Castle.


The kids and I with Mom's cousin (in blue) and my Aunt Iris.  After this it was just us with Iris and we learned that we were no match for this lady's energy and stamina in walking all over Nottingham.


Nottingham was a trendier city than we expected.  Rather than being a rather grim industrial urban center, the downtown area was nice, and filled with the sort of shops my kids love.



James and I tried archery in Sherwood Forrest.  (I did pretty well.) 


The "Trip to Jerusalem"--the oldest Inn (pub) in England.  It's an old crusader pub dating back to the late 1100s.



Wollaton Hall, near where we were staying in Trowell.  Here we are with our hosts.  It's a lovely spot, and since part of it is a natural history museum, it was filled with school tours that day.  (Did I mention that even in the third week in July the poor kids are still in school?)


Next stop:  London.

No comments: