Saturday, June 04, 2011

Shut it all down

The province, I mean.  This is the first time since '94 that the Canucks have been in the finals--and they've only been there twice before now.  For the first time, they're the "favourite" with home ice advantage.

What does that mean?  On Wednesday, Game One started at 5:00 our time.  Everybody must have left work by 4:00 to get home or to the various bars, etc. where they were going to watch.  Traffic was stupid.  But at 5:30, normally still rush hour, things were pretty quiet.

Boston Pizza, with a lot of locations in BC, have temporarily changed all their signage in this part of the world to "Vancouver Pizza", and Tim Horton's have made a similar name change for Boston Creme donuts.

My school's graduation ceremony last weekend included several references to the Canucks, and there are a ridiculous number of car flags of all sizes everywhere.  You'll find employees wearing Canuck gear at most business outlets, and the elevator of my dad's senior's lodge has become a battleground of graffiti on the wall notice about the games.  (folks crossing out "Go Canucks" to replace it with "Go Bruins" followed by "Crying towels are available at the front desk")

My wife is finding this all a bit frustrating.  Not a fan herself, she doesn't appreciate how a simple game is messing up life.  It's not just traffic; I had deliberately scheduled my students' last evening of theatre presentation on June 16--one of two possible dates, the other being the 15th.  I'd avoided the 15th since that was my son and daughter's school awards night, and we've been informed they're both being honoured.

Now, earlier this week, we get an email informing us that the event has been shifted to the 16th, since the 15th is the night a seventh game will be played should the series go that long.

Ugh.  I already missed my son's last-ever high school music concert where he was in everything and featured in a bunch of solos, etc, simply because I had to buy and plan my own school field trip to Wicked in Vancouver eight months in advance.  (This happened two days ago.)

Fortunately, I have a pretty understanding administration and a cool group of senior kids.  All involved agree I should go to my kids' ceremony, and we're moving our event to the 15th--should a game 7 transpire, we'll probably have to change that plan, since we realize nobody would come.

Fingers crossed--Go Canucks Go! (In six games or quicker).

No comments: